[Autocrypt] first autocrypt logo drafts!

azul azul at riseup.net
Wed May 31 03:03:48 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Mallory, Thanks a lot for pointing out the connotation.

My understanding is that now is exactly the right time to feed thoughts
into the discussion. We have not yet gotten back to the designer and can
include all of that to inform the next iteration.

Azul

Am 31.05.2017 um 08:10 schrieb Mallory Knodel:
> Hi all,
>
> Looks like a good discussion. And sorry to be that person who pipes up
> after the fact. But venetian blinds on a window immediately connotes
> to me the threat of a peeping tom[0], imagery that risks an intense,
> gendered reaction.
>
> -Mallory
>
> [0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Godiva#Peeping_Tom
>
> On 30/05/17 08:40 PM, azul wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We discussed the logos at the meeting tonight. We agreed clouds or
>> fog are not good metaphors. Images also need to work at small scale
>> so too much detail in most of them. Two of the 5 people involved saw
>> the images on page 5 and 6 as referring to window blinds. If that's
>> the intention it's not conveyed strongly enough. I attached a less
>> subtle take on window blinds. It's not meant as a final proposal for
>> a logo. I just like the metaphor because for me it conveys usable
>> privacy.
>>
>> For the record here's an excerpt from the irc logs:
>>
>>> 14:31 < azul> I'm fine with talking about them now for a moment. My
>>> main point
>>>               is to ask people to give feedback in some form until
>>> the ned of
>>>               the week.
>>> 14:31 < Valodim> tbh, I'm not particularly in love with either of
>>> them :\
>>> 14:32 < azul> I don't like the cloud ones because cloud has a very
>>> strong
>>>               association that is exactly the oposite of what we want.
>>> 14:33 < azul> I'm also not sure fog is a good metaphor.
>>> 14:33 < azul> ahh... i'm pretty sure it's not is probably closer to
>>> waht i want
>>>               to say.
>>> 14:34 < Valodim> one impression I had was that i'm not sure if they
>>> work when
>>>                  scaled to actual icon size? I'm trying to make them
>>> smaller
>>>                  right now but my pdf viewer won't let me :)
>>> 14:34 < dkg> i agree that the cloud is the wrong metaphor
>>> 14:34 < dkg> and fog :)
>>> 14:35 < juga> i've looked the logos, agree with azul and Valodim
>>> 14:35 < azul> I'm not sure if its' the intention but page 5 and the
>>> upper ones
>>>               on page 6 remind me of those things you have in front
>>> of windows
>>>               that you can close.
>>> 14:35 < Valodim> curtains?
>>> 14:36 < azul> not curtains - but the horizontal ones.
>>> 14:36 < dkg> the @ with the pixelated right-hand-side was the most
>>> convincing
>>>              to me, but it doesn't convey any of the ideas about
>>> ease or
>>>              usability.
>>> 14:36 < Valodim> oh, you meant page six not seven
>>> 14:36 < dkg> azul: in en_US those are "venetian blinds"
>>> 14:36 < azul> i kind of like that as a metaphore.
>>> 14:36 < dkg> and it took me a while to figure out that was what they
>>> were
>>>              trying to be
>>> 14:36 < dkg> it looked to me instead like a censor who had removed
>>> some pieces
>>>              of the e-mail
>>> 14:36 < juga> azul: i also didn't realized until you said
>>> 14:37 < azul> I agree it could be stronger.
>>> 14:37 < dkg> (i've just been re-reading Catch-22, though, so i may
>>> have been
>>>              mis-primed)
>>> 14:38 < azul> I think the left to right fade does not make it easier.
>>> 14:39 < dkg> right, venetian blinds don't fade like that ;)
>>> 14:40 < azul> anything else about the logos?
>>> 14:40 < Valodim> almost all of the icons seem to have far too fine
>>> detail to
>>>                  work at 48x48
>>> 14:40 < juga> not from me
>>> 14:41 < azul> I htink hpk can read the backlog and wanted to give
>>> his own
>>>               feedback end of the week
>>> 14:41 < Valodim> (I gave up convincing my pdf viewer, made a
>>> screenshot and
>>>                  resized that - maybe it works better if scaled down
>>> from the
>>>                  vectors)
>>> 14:41 < azul> Valodim: i agree.
>>> 14:41 < dkg> Valodim: agreed
>>> 14:42 < azul>
>>> http://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/1062986/505174333/stock-vector-vector-line-icons-with-drapes-window-covering-different-styles
>>> -of-draperies-curtains-and-blinds-505174333.jpg
>>> 14:43 < azul> It's possible to have window blinds at low size. ;)
>>> 14:44 < azul> anyway. I think we can just give this feedback to the