[Autocrypt] How to create the "raw key" part from an RSA key

Edouard Tisserant edouard at pep-security.net
Wed May 31 05:23:34 EDT 2017

Hi all.

I'm maintaining netpgp fork of pEp project. Thanks Daniel for including
me in the discussion, I am happy that I can help.

> when you say "key generation is not really Netpgp-related" i'm not sure
> what you mean.  netpgp has a function netpgp_generate_key(), for
> example, which sounds relevant.

That's true that such historical function exists, but we don't use it.
Please have a look at function pgp_generate_keypair() in pEpEngine's
pgp_netpgp.c :

https://letsencrypt.pep.foundation/dev/repos/pEpEngine/file/tip/src/pgp_netpgp.c#l784

>> I think Pep does the subkey-stuff itself in some way, esp. as it seems
>> to be a very common task. Or Pep does not generate keys without GnuPG
>> - I don't know.

Netpgp was indeed not behaving with subkeys at all. It is now a little
better on that point, but far from being perfect :
- it accepts keys from GPG having subkeys, and use them to decrypt,
encrypt and sign.
- it does _not_ generate any subkey when generating a new key.
- subkeys are ignored when renewing expired key

> I don't know how Edouard prefers to see contributions submitted, but he
> ought to respond at least by e-mail. (i've also bcc'ed him here in case
> he's not yet reading the autocrypt list)

I'm now subscribed to autocrypt list. I'll welcome any contributions,
even if I have to pull from a Git repo ;)

Best,

Edouard

--
Edouard Tisserant, p≡p security