[Autocrypt] MOSS proposal status (opportunistic ML encryption)

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue May 8 07:30:35 EDT 2018

Hi autocrypt, hi mailman-dev,

just a quick heads up regarding the "MOSS" (Mozilla Open Source)
proposal for opportunistic ML encryption, and which involves
mailman and autocrypt folks.  Mehan from the MOSS team got
back end April and mailed this:

    "Thanks for your continued patience with regard to the status of your
    MOSS application. While the MOSS committee did discuss your application
    during their meeting last week, they have decided to delay a decision
    until next month’s meeting, in order to collect some additional
    information.

    Additionally, in reviewing your application, one of our committee
    members thought that the IETF might be interested in your
    software. We imagine the IETF might have some questions for
    you--would you be interested in chatting with them? Input from
    the IETF could also certainly help inform our judges’
    assessment of your application, if you’re open to that.
    Would it be okay for me to connect you with Russ Housley at IETF?"

To which I happily agreed and remain waiting to hear from Russ.

For those who don't know the proposal in question,
i attach it to this mail. It contains useful considerations
even if it might not accepted in the end.  There also is
an ongoing discussion and early specification discussions
in the Autocrypt community, see:
https://github.com/autocrypt/autocrypt/pull/374

I'll see to report back when things move further ...

holger