[Autocrypt] Keyservers and GDPR

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Tue May 22 16:11:45 EDT 2018

> For OpenKeychain, we plan to move uploading of key material a bit farther out of
> the way and do a better job at informing the user what's going to happen. But
> that's a stopgap measure, since the user can't simply be asked to waive their
> rights. Hopefully we can soon move away from keyservers for key discovery or
> distribution.

- How else can key discovery be done?
- At some point a stranger asks for user's key to send a message to the
user. How is this conceptually different from a function, performed by a
key server? And if so, won't GDPR arguments then apply to any mechanism?
- May be there is no need to put SIN and a date of birth into public key
certificate? GDPR makes total sense in keeping key server on acting as
just a key server.