[Fsa-guatemala] What data is easily available to Groups?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Sep 17 16:05:32 EDT 2008

One of the pieces of feedback that we've gotten repeatedly from
Participants in this exercise is that they want easier ways to quickly
tell what's going on.

I'd like to open a discusion on what additional pieces of information
we feel would be the most useful for the Groups (and for the Workshop
as a whole), how they could be presented, and decide if we want to
implement them.

I hope the non-technical folks will join in on this -- if you have no
idea how something could be implemented, that's fine!  I want to know
what you think would be useful (and what would be harmful).  If we
need to figure out *how* to make something work, that can be a
separate discussion.

Here are some examples of additional data that peple have requested:

Sometimes a Right gets into a little "revert war" where two Groups
keep editing each others' changes.  Some Groups would like to know
whether they've endorsed the current exact text of that Right in the
past (even if their endorsement has been cleared in the interim).
This makes it easier for groups who care to re-Endorse to do so.

The Scribe can at any time request a list of revisions of a given
Right, along with the time of the revision -- in the past, this has
not included any information about who had endorsed each revision.
Some Participants wanted prior endorser information available.

Other Participants have requested that their Group somehow get
notified if a Right that they had Endorsed got changed (i.e. if their
Endorsement was cleared).  This would make it easier for them to keep
track of Rights that they care about (so that they can more-quickly
re-Endorse or Edit, depending on their feeling about the revision).

I'm sure other folks can think of other types of alert/notification
that are possible.  But we currently have only two ways to get data to
the Groups: the Board, and the Scribe's connection.  Are there ways to
get the data that we want to get to the Groups smoothly within this
constraint?  Do we want to consider adding some additional conduit of
information?

        --dkg