[Fsa-guatemala] Proposal +MT: the use of Machine Translation in IR Workshops where L>1

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Sep 18 14:34:33 EDT 2008

On Thu 2008-09-18 09:45:45 -0400, Jamie McClelland wrote:

> I think incorporating machine translations is a really good idea. I
> was envisioning it happening from the opposite direction:

Thanks for the ideas!  Can we call your Proposal +MT-quiet ?

I like the idea, especially in terms of making the visual displays
more sane (less data is better!).

But I worry that it puts yet another task on the Scribe.  If these
translations aren't presented on the Board, how will regular
(non-Scribe) Participants get a translation?  Will they need to
petition the Scribe for it?  How will this affect the dynamics within
the Group?

Are there ways that we might widen this potential bottleneck?

    --dkg