[Fsa-guatemala] A modest proposal about dealing with L>1 Workshops (Proposal 0)

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Sep 18 16:18:25 EDT 2008

On Thu 2008-09-18 15:15:42 -0400, Jamie McClelland wrote:

> I'm not sure there is a way to do it that meets all our needs!

Me neither.  Sigh.

> However, here's a counter proposal that I think would address the
> concerns I raised.

Thanks, this is very useful.  Could you name this proposal?  I have
questions about it below.

> Only after the complete checkbox is checked will the right appear in
> the scribe display as being editable or endorseable.

How do incomplete Rights appear on the Board?  Do they have any
endorsements?  I can imagine some visualizations, but i don't know if
they make sense.

> When editing a right, you click on the link representing the
> language you want to edit the right in and now that version becomes
> the original until the translations are complete.

In the editing scenario, what happens to the "non-original"
localization?  Does it retain the old value (which presumably
corresponds to the previous revision), or does it get cleared?

If it retains its old value, and i'm looking at a Translation (that
is, an editable Localization), how can i tell if it contains the value
From the previous revision or an "incomplete" Translation of the
"original"?

How do Endorsements during edits work in this proposal?
Traditionally, if your Group edits a right, you automatically endorse
the new version.

Does a translating Group automatically endorse the new version?  Does
the author of the "original" automatically endorse the right once
translated, including the translation (which was unknown at the time
of authorship)?

What is the workflow for a multi-lingual Group who wants to edit or
create all Localizations at once?  What is the workflow for a
multi-lingual Group who wants to edit an existing Right to just
wordsmith in only one Localization and not the other?  All these
scenarios seem cumbersome for multi-lingual groups.  Do you feel that
that's acceptable?  Maybe it is, given that the goal is to slow down
the "democracy" a little bit.

What happens with concurrent edits of Translations of an Incomplete
Right?  For example, Group A submits Right K in language X.

Groups B and C immediately begin working on Translations into language
Y.  Group B finishes their Translation first, and decides that K is
Complete.  B's Scribe marks it as such, and submits the edit form.
What does Group C's Scribe experience when she submits their
Translation?

I'm beginning to get a feel for how this would actually work, so
thanks for the concrete proposal!

          --dkg