[Fsa-guatemala] A modest proposal about dealing with L>1 Workshops (Proposal 0)

Jamie McClelland jm at mayfirst.org
Fri Sep 19 18:33:58 EDT 2008

Hi all,

> > Only after the complete checkbox is checked will the right appear in
> > the scribe display as being editable or endorseable.
>
> How do incomplete Rights appear on the Board?  Do they have any
> endorsements?  I can imagine some visualizations, but i don't know if
> they make sense.

An incomplete right would only have the group who wrote (or last edited)
it as the endorser. They would appear with all localizations (even
incomplete ones).

> > When editing a right, you click on the link representing the
> > language you want to edit the right in and now that version becomes
> > the original until the translations are complete.
>
> In the editing scenario, what happens to the "non-original"
> localization?  Does it retain the old value (which presumably
> corresponds to the previous revision), or does it get cleared?

I *think* it would contain the old value, to make tweaking a translation
easier.

> If it retains its old value, and i'm looking at a Translation (that
> is, an editable Localization), how can i tell if it contains the value
> From the previous revision or an "incomplete" Translation of the
> "original"?

I'm beginning to think that the "incomplete" flag should apply to each
localization, rather than the right as a whole. That would solve this
particular confusion.

> How do Endorsements during edits work in this proposal?
> Traditionally, if your Group edits a right, you automatically endorse
> the new version.

Yes - same holds true. You do not wait for the localizations to
complete. If you submit a right or edit a right you automatically
endorse it by default.

> Does a translating Group automatically endorse the new version?  Does
> the author of the "original" automatically endorse the right once
> translated, including the translation (which was unknown at the time
> of authorship)?

No - translating groups do not automatically endorse the new version.
Yes, authors automatically endorse the right without seeing the
translation (trust in the group to create an useful translation).

> What is the workflow for a multi-lingual Group who wants to edit or
> create all Localizations at once?

Submit right. Then, from list display, click to translate the right.
Submit translation.

> What is the workflow for a
> multi-lingual Group who wants to edit an existing Right to just
> wordsmith in only one Localization and not the other?

Click translate. You can't touch the original, but you can edit one *or*
all of the localizations.

> All these
> scenarios seem cumbersome for multi-lingual groups.  Do you feel that
> that's acceptable?  Maybe it is, given that the goal is to slow down
> the "democracy" a little bit.

I do think it's worth it - not to slow down the democracy, but slow down
a group that might get carried away with their contributions without
realizing that other groups are not able to collaborate with them.

> What happens with concurrent edits of Translations of an Incomplete
> Right?  For example, Group A submits Right K in language X.
>
> Groups B and C immediately begin working on Translations into language
> Y.  Group B finishes their Translation first, and decides that K is
> Complete.  B's Scribe marks it as such, and submits the edit form.
> What does Group C's Scribe experience when she submits their
> Translation?

Here's an imperfect solution:

Once a group clicks the translate link, a lock with a default time out
of, say 5 minutes, is placed on it. If anyone clicks the translate link
after that, they get a message saying: this right is currently being
translated and they are not able to submit a translation.

A translator gets a countdown on their screen, with a button that says:
give me 5 more minutes. If they let the count down run out, then they
won't be able to submit the translation (but now the translate link
re-appears on the list page and others can translate).

It sounds stressful to translate with a count down timer. Any other
ideas?

Jamie

--
Jamie McClelland
718-303-3204 ext. 101

May First/People Link
Growing networks to build a just world
http://www.mayfirst.org
https://support.mayfirst.org
Members Local 1180, Communications Workers of America, AFL-CIO

PGP Key: http://current.workingdirectory.net/pages/identity/