[guardian-dev] Parandroid Messaging: New testbuild for all platforms

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Jun 18 16:55:45 EDT 2010

On 05/16/2010 02:39 PM, Jeffrey Klardie wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> first of all, Jacob, thanks for your reply. It was very useful, and made us
> think about some aspects of our application.

You're welcome. Sorry for taking a month to get back to you this time...

> About cryptophone: since it is not open source, we are not really able to
> get a good idea of how they implemented things. The only thing we can find
> out about it is this small text on their site: "Keys [are] exchanged with
> 4096 Bit Diffie-Hellmann, voice and data encrypted with AES 256 and
> Twofish". If you could provide us with more info, that would help a lot.

The source code for much of the project is available on their website.
This is not free software but it should allow you to get a good feel for
the voice crypto stuff. I suspect that they will release more in the future.

> We updated our project site, by adding a new page about the
> implementation<http://wiki.github.com/erikwt/ParandroidMessaging/implementation>(
> http://wiki.github.com/erikwt/ParandroidMessaging/implementation). It is not
> perfect yet, but it will give a better idea of how we do the crypto part.

Ok.

> Currently we do not have forward secrecy. Technically it's pretty easy to
> implement this. The problem here is that it brings a lot of overhead, which
> will cost the end user extra money. We are thinking about a solution for
> this (like a new keypair for each person you have contact with, for each
> conversation, etc).

I think this is an absolutely requirement. Why not take the OTR route
and have long term identity keys and session keys per "session" that is
running in a given time frame?

I suspect that TextSecure is probably doing all of this right - I hear
that they're planning to release a lot about their implementation soon,
from source code to specs - they're probably not going to be free
software though.

> We did use DES, although not for the encryption of the message that goes
> over the air: we used it to encrypt the private key on the filesystem. Since
> DES is no longer safe (as Jacob correctly points out), we immediately
> changed that to AES.

Can you tell me what that means? AES in what mode? Do you use PBDFK2?
What slows down a brute force attack on the private key?

> We will have a look at OTR and discuss that in our team. We'll let you know
> if we can use it in some way. Also, we'll try to update our wiki pages. Some
> are a bit outdated and not very well formed.

Sounds great!

All the best,
Jacob