[guardian-dev] Parandroid and Beem

Nathan Freitas nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon May 10 14:36:02 EDT 2010

Two updates on partner applications:

1) Parandroid - Encrypted SMS Messaging

The Parandroid Messaging team has created a new build of Parandroid that should work cross-network (T-Mobile to AT&T for instance), and has an improved user interface. Both people need to install the new app APK linked to below (NOT from the market) for testing. You will need to remove the old version and recreate your keys.

You can download here and sync using adb: http://github.com/downloads/erikwt/ParandroidMessaging/ParandroidMessaging-BASE64-EARLY.apk
or, perhaps more simply, point your Android browser to: http://guardianproject.info/download and selelect the ParandroidMessaging-BASE64-EARLY.apk file.

This currently only runs on Android 2.x however, so make sure your device is up to spec.  If you have any time to test, please do so and let me know how it goes. Issues should be filed here: http://github.com/erikwt/ParandroidMessaging/issues
You can also often find @erikwt and @JS88 in the #guardianproject irc channel on freenode.

2) Beem - Anonymous Instant Messaging

I've got a new post up here detailing how to use the Beem open-source IM app with Orbot: http://guardianproject.info/2010/05/10/mobile-im-over-tor/

The latest version of Beem is much easier to use with Google Talk, as well, or any XMPP service. The next big step for IM would be to integrate end-to-end encryption + key exchange to achieve the same security that Pidgin or Adium + OTR has on the desktop. I am slowly working on the Beem guys to take this on, but am also expecting to throw some cycles to get this done.

Anyhow, for now, if you are using Orbot actively, it would be great if you used Beem, as well. I use it now with my GTalk / Gmail account: nathanfreitas at gmail.com

---

That is all for now... still working away until this baby decides to join us air breathers.

+n