[guardian-dev] lildebi status: the script builds Debian on a CM phone!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Apr 19 00:49:01 EDT 2011

On Apr 19, 2011, at 12:28 AM, Kevin Galligan wrote:

> Sorry.  Got sidetracked.
>
> Had to tweak a bit.  Will stabilize some of the stuff tomorrow.  Right
> now it all runs in an Activity, but its a very long process and should
> probably be moved to a background service, with the front end
> occasionally polling for updates to print out.  Also need to move
> source into a more appropriate directory.

Yes, definitely needs a background, long-lived Remote Service.  As for
the source tree, it needs a clean up for sure.  I'll sort out my stuff
once I get your updates.

> However, it runs 'create-debian-setup.sh' on the device and appears to
> work, although mine locked up mid-install.  Not sure if there's an
> issue or if it was just a weird fluke.  It did work when I manually
> ran it from the command line.

I'll check it out.

> One thing right off the bat.  It looks like the script uses tar.  It
> would be better to create a zip package and unpack that in Java.  Some
> phones don't have tar included.  I'm testing this on a cyanogen build,
> just to make sure I don't run into other issues while setting up the
> app.

My plan now is to include a minimal busybox binary that includes all
the needed UNIX utils (something like ar, wget, bunzip2, mke2fs...).
I think we won't need tar or zip in the end, but just in case, do you
know a Android-native way to call the unzip method from a sh script?

.hc

> -Kevin
>
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at
> > wrote:
>>
>> Hey Kevin,
>>
>> Any luck with this?  If you ran out of time, I am happy to take
>> your code
>> and finish integrating it.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Apr 6, 2011, at 10:29 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>

>>> First, I only ran this on CyanogenMod, I don't think it'll work on
>>> plain
>>> Android just yet.  Here's how I ran things:
>>>
>>> on my computer after attaching the phone via USB:
>>>  cd lildebi/scripts
>>>  ./push-app-payload.sh
>>>  adb shell
>>>  cd /data/lildebi
>>>  ./create-debian-setup.sh
>>> (wait a long time as everything downloads and builds)
>>>  cd /data/lildebi
>>>  ./start-debian.sh
>>>
>>> .hc

>>> "[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own
>>> government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

>> "[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own
>> government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
>>

> <LittleDebby.apk>

scarcity."        -John Gilmore