[guardian-dev] DNSCrypt - encrypting proxy for DNS

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Dec 8 11:27:25 EST 2011

OpenDNS just announced DNSCrypt, an encryption proxy for DNS.  You basically run a daemon on your machine, then make your settings point to 127.0.0.1 for the nameserver, and it'll proxy DNS over an encrypted connection.  I don't know which nameservers support DNSCrypt, I guess OpenDNS's do.  This does address privacy concerns which DNSSEC does not.  Time for an Android port? :)

Here's some media on it:
http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/DNSCrypt-a-tool-to-encrypt-all-DNS-traffic-1392283.html
http://blog.opendns.com/2011/12/06/dnscrypt-–-critical-fundamental-and-about-time/

And the code: