[guardian-dev] otrchat/gibber git reorg

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sat Jan 8 20:50:30 EST 2011

On 08/01/11 06:02, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> So the OTR engine could stay in the service, but the actual encrypt and
> decrypt actions happen in the app. But I guess it would be good if OTR
> chat sessions could be initiated in the background in the service.

Please excuse any ignorance in this email (I'm slowly getting to grips
with everything), but it would be great if some of the functionality of
otrchat/Gibber could be exposed as a service that is usable by other
applications (if the permission were requested in the application's
manifest, of course).

One application that I would really like to see written is a
privacy-respecting replacement for Google Latitude. I do not like the
idea of sending Google my location and don't like the "always on"
presumption of Latitude. I would therefore like an application that
simply securely sent my location through otrchat to my contact on demand
(say, when I'm driving to pick him/her up from somewhere or we are
trying to meet up). On the receiving end, his/her copy of the
application would receive the otrchat messages and display the location
on the recipient's OSM or Google map.

The hard part of all of that seems to me to be the secure messaging,
which is already done in Gibber. Providing this ability to other
applications could also raise awareness of Gibber and why it is worth
installing over and above normal chat applications.

Just my thoughts, which I thought I'd throw into the mix.

Aaron