[guardian-dev] otrchat/gibber git reorg

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Mon Jan 17 17:51:38 EST 2011

On 01/17/2011 04:20 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> The hang up now is sorting out the design of the OTR in the Android
> Remote Service and AIDL stuff.  Anyone know this stuff well and can give
> us advice on how best to structure it?  Its not so straightforward, and
> someone's experience could show us the direct path thru the whole thing :)

I +1 on this idea, too, but think we could implement this better as an
Intent. Essentially, your app would simply provide the buddy/contact
name, your account identifier, and the text you would like to send to them.

Intent i = new Intent();
i.setAction("info.guardianproject.gibber.SEND_MESSAGE");
intent.putExtra("to","trustyfriend");
intent.putExtra("authkey","SOME_SORT_OF_KEY_GENERATED_WHEN_YOU_ENABLE_APP_FOR_GIBBER");

intent.putExtra("message","i am at the combination pizza hut/taco bell");
context.sendBroadcast(i);

Seems pretty simple, but something we'd need to be assure couldn't be
abused.

BTW, we already have one of these built into Orbot for requesting a
hidden service to be enabled on a specific port for third-party apps,
and the intent will return a .onion address for you.

+n8fr8