[guardian-dev] otrchat/gibber git reorg

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jan 20 11:00:14 EST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 4:35 AM, Nathan Freitas wrote:

> On 01/18/2011 01:14 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> It seems that using a RemoteService, you can't send an exception
>> back to
>> the Activity that sent the Intent.  So for our case, if there is an
>> issue with the OTR (like a new fingerprint, etc) then it should
>> probably
>> pop up the Gibber Activity for handling this, no matter which app is
>> doing the message sending.
>
> I think you would always front-end the RemoteService with an Activity
> for manage the Intent interaction. We could design specific Activities
> to handle the app-to-app interaction. There would be an Activity for
> authorizing apps to use the Gibber App Messging Engine (GAME!), which
> should show a yes/no dialog perhaps. There would be another Activity
> that would work sans-UI or perhaps with a progress dialog to
> indicating
> message sending success/failure.
>
> I know this is work that is tangential to our core goals with this
> stage
> of Gibber, and while we won't get to it for a few months (unless
> another
> dev jumps in), I am mostly hoping it can inform our design decisions
> at
> this stage.
>
> +n8fr8

This is a pretty decent example of the idea:
http://mylifewithandroid.blogspot.com/2008/01/about-binders.html

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom