[guardian-dev] malls track shopper's cell phone signals

Derek Halliday derek at guardianproject.info
Mon Nov 28 19:30:35 EST 2011

Chuck Schumer to the rescue:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/11/mall-owners-pull-plug-on-cellular-tracking-for-now

The quote from malls is: "We are simply seeking to level the playing
field for offline retailers." IMO startups like shopkick are only the
first inroads into this space, and we'll continue to see strategies like
this (misguided) one expand to retail nationwide. The barrier between
IRL targeted marketing and surveillance mechanisms is going to be
continually tested.

-D