[guardian-dev] RFC: gtalk client for android with zrtp encryption

Dmitry Monakhov dmonakhov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:44:11 EDT 2012

Hi everyone.
I just want to announce that i've start to work on ztalk project.
Project goals:

1)Implement video/audio chat client based on libjingle[1] (core of
gtalk) with zrtp encryption
2) Port libjingle on android

Q: We aready has csipsimple, why yet another project(protocol) ?
A: Actually there are many reasons for that:
   1) Libjingle is based on XMPP
   2) Huge user-base, almost every owner of android phone already have
      google account and gtalk accout, so the only thing user should do
      to make secure call is to install the app and ask his peer to
      also use it.
   3) In comparison to sip it is more secure by default because most
      servers use TLS by defaults see[2], If one dont want to use
      google's server it is not too hard to didicated server and
      still able to comunicate with unsecure gtalk servers

   from two sub-tasks:
   a) Add announcement to xmpp headers during negotiation ETA: 1day
   b) add zrtpqueue to rtp stream ETA: 3days

2) Port libjingle to android, for now i only able to build it staticaly
   and run callapp, it talks to server and accept calls, but
   p2ptransport not works yet, see my git repo: [3]
   Right now i try to build unitets in understand actual situation.

I've no plans to write new client, so after libjingle w/ zrtp will be
ported to android, i want to integrate libjingle to existing voip client
csipsimple, libphone(libjingle already has some parts of linphone's
mediaengine), beem, etc.

I would like to receive your comments, and possibly help in development
and tesing.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/libjingle/
[2] http://vimeo.com/36396972
[3] https://github.com/dmonakhov/libjingle/tree/android