[guardian-dev] Fwd: Flashable ZIP installer for Guardian apps.

Rick Valenzuela lists at rickv.com
Tue Aug 21 00:40:46 EDT 2012

On 2012/08/20 3:46 PM, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
> On 08/20/2012 04:16 AM, Rick Valenzuela wrote:
>> Interesting. It would be great if it could include RedPhone, so non
>> US-users wouldn't have to use Market Unlocker.
> Yes, It makes sense that both RedPhone and TextSecure are part of any
> bundle like this, now that they are open-source.
>
> However, RedPhone used to have some geographic limitations in terms of
> the push/wakeup mechanisms. Not sure where that stands now.

The full zip installs fine on a Samsung Galaxy S (i9000 international
model), running CM10 nightly 20120820 and Semaphore 2.0.6 kernel. The
progress bar didn't go all the way across, so I thought it might've
bailed, but it looks all good now.

So far tried Orbot and TextSecure, which I assume were reinstalled, and
my settings remained. Ostel kept my login info, too, but going into
settings I get incredible lags (which may be the new CM10, and the funky
partitions that the dev/device maintainer used to work around our space
limitations and NAND speeds). Also tried ObscuraCam and opened Panic,
looks OK. New toys that I've never played with yet.

Before flashing this, though, I tried installing the update zip, in the
hopes I'd add Orweb, ObscuraCam, etc., and not lose data/settings with
the apps I'd already installed. The flash said it completed (again,
despite that the progress bar didn't go all the way across), but when I
rebooted, I had no new apps. Then a weird quirk: I opened a data
connection and Orbot, and it connected fine, but a check with Firefox
Beta said I had no net connection. Checking mail in K9 gave me errors,
but Twitter with Tor proxies set loaded fine. According to IP Track, I
had no external IP. I turned off Orbot, turned it on again, and then all
was working as expected. Strange.

I'll repost this to the XDA thread, too.