[guardian-dev] job spam - free-software non-profit android developer

elijah elijah at riseup.net
Sun Dec 16 04:42:04 EST 2012

Hi Guardian Dev List,

The LEAP Encryption Access Project is hiring an Android developer to
work on free software secure communication tools. For more information,
see https://leap.se/jobs.

LEAP shares many of the same goals as Guardian, and will rely on much of
Guardian's libraries, but is more focused on applications that integrate
closely with service providers using the LEAP platform.

carry on,
-elijah

About LEAP

LEAP Encryption Access Project is a non-profit dedicated to giving all
internet users access to secure communication. Our focus is on adapting
encryption technology to make it easy to use and widely available.

* We are a team of 10 dedicated and experienced anti-surveillance hackers.
* We started development in earnest on June 1 2011.
* We are globally distributed in Europe, South America, North America,
and South Korea (Yep, it is hard to schedule meetings).
* We have an established agile development process that works.
* Everything we do is licensed as free software (GPL whenever possible).

Contact: mcnair at leap.se

Open Positions

Android Developer

We are hiring a programmer for ongoing Android development, including
porting the LEAP Client to Android and writing a client-encrypted sync
adapter that integrates with the LEAP data storage. Many of the key
components on which the client will depend have already been ported to
Android, such as openvpn, sqlcipher, and u1db. Like its desktop
counterpart, the goal with the Android client is to have a minimal UI
that auto-configures itself with the service provider. We will only
support Android 4.0 and above (earlier releases don't have VpnService API).

What we are looking for, via a list of many bullets:

* Experience with Android application development
* Familiarity with public key cryptography and (ideally) experience with
BouncyCastle
* Enthusiasm for working collaboratively
* Good testing practices
* Burning desire to secure communications from prying eyes and snooping
algorithms
* Uncontrolled obsession with free and open source software

Compensation rates are high for US non-profits and low for the US tech
industry. This could be a full-time or part-time position, as desired.