[guardian-dev] February 2012: Project Update

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Thu Feb 9 17:19:48 EST 2012

Through coordination with the Tor Project, we released Orbot 1.0.7,
which includes an embedded version of OpenSSL to assure we have the
latest security enhancements for this critical cryptographic library.
In addition, compatibility testing was done on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream
Sandwich) and with the latest versions of Firefox Mobile. As always
you can learn more and download Orbot in the Android Market and at
https://guardianproject.info/apps/orbot

With the public awareness of internet censorship and surveillence
growing thanks to SOPA, PIPA and CarrierIQ, not to mention the ongoing
unrest in many regions if the world, we have seen a huge spike in
interest and download of Orbot, Orweb and Gibberbot. Here are some
notable links:
http://mobileactive.org/howtos/user-guide-to-orbot
http://www.chinagfw.org/2012/01/orbot-tor.html
http://geeknews.cz/orbot-svobodnejsi-brouzdani-pro-android/352/
http://www.101hacker.com/2012/01/10-must-have-free-android-apps.html

We pushed a small fix to ObscuraCam to solve a problem with saving
processed images on many Samsung Galaxy devices, and a number of fixes
in the native Android JPEG Redaction library which has been developed
as part of the project.
https://github.com/guardianproject/securesmartcam/tree/obscurav1

Along with our partners at WITNESS, we presented the entire
SecureSmartCam project at the monthly New York Tech Meetup event,
attended by hundreds of the city?s top developers, entrepreneurs and
investors. Our goal was too raise awareness about visual privacy, show
off our app, and highlight the fact that we are doing grant-funded,
open-source human rights tech work in the middle of Silicon Alley. The
project was well received with the demo going off without a hitch. The
Economist also featured the SecureSmartCam project in print and online
through a story focused on the future of protest video.

Economist blog and video:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/01/technology-and-democracy
New York Tech Meetup full stream: http://vimeo.com/34608516

Formal management of the SQLCipher for Android project has been moved
over to a joint effort between Zetetic, LLC and the Guardian Project,
with the new online home being http://github.com/sqlcipher and the
code packaging moving to a net.sqlcipher.* base. Zetetic is the
creator of the original core SQLCipher project and they have been
critical in our efforts to bring it to Android. We expect to release
an update to SQLCipher 2 with support for Android ICS 4.x this month.

Our Portable Shared Security Tokens (PSST) research project made great
headway in sorting through the many, many formats for storing
cryptographic keys in open-source software, specifically messaging
apps using the Off-the-Record private messaging protocol. One of the
project goals is to enable synchronization of keys, included trusted
or verified status, from desktop to mobile contexts. An initial set of
code has been posted which enables transfer of key between Pidgin and
Gibberbot. Learn more at https://guardianproject.info/wiki/PSST

Open Secure Telephony Network (OSTN) is another internal research
effort to audit and promote reliable solutions for secure open-source,
mobile voice communication. Our chief focus has been the determining
which client apps and server soft switches properly support TLS, SRTP
and ZRTP protocols for encrypting both SIP signaling and the actual
RTP media streaming. We also surveyed the mobile telephony habits of
over twenty activists and NGOs, and unsurprisingly found a great
dependence on Skype. We plan to release the results of the survey
publicly, along with some initial assessments and tutorials in
February. Track our efforts at https://guardianproject.info/wiki/OSTN