[guardian-dev] Writing about SQLCipher

Stephen Lombardo sjlombardo at zetetic.net
Mon Feb 13 17:04:14 EST 2012

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Mark Murphy <mmurphy at commonsware.com>wrote:

> Well, I was planning on publishing something later this month, given
> the previous statements about the developer-facing API being largely
> unchanged with the move to 2.0.

The developer facing API will be almost identical, however we were planning
to change the namespace for the package from info.guardianproject.* to
net.sqlcipher.*. This isn't a huge change, but would be enough to require
program modification to move from 1 to 2.  The other SQLCipher change is a
small modification to the database format, that requires a database
migration to use. Thus, things are very similar, but there are some changes
that could require updates to code.

> So, the two main possibilities are:
>
> 1. Go ahead and write a section on 1.1, updating it to 2.0 once that ships.
>
> 2. Wait until 2.0 ships and worry about it then.

We don't think it will take long for the SQLCipher 2 changes, but we're
pretty busy with client work for the next two weeks. Thus, we probably
wouldn't work on the updates until end of February. It would be just fine
to go ahead on 1.1 since you are planning to release the book so soon, and
it doesn't sound like you'd doing an update at a later date to adjust for
the differences / upgrade path for SQlcipher 2.0.

If there is anything we can to to help out please let us know!

Cheers,
Stephen