[guardian-dev] Lil' Debi criticism

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:57:39 EST 2012

Hello,

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:57:53 -0500
Nathan of Guardian <nathan at guardianproject.info> wrote:

> On 02/24/2012 05:39 AM, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> > Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but that was my post. So, please
> > don't extend anything to the whole project ;-).
>
> Okay, but we should reply there, right? If we want LilDebi included in
> F-Droid?

You're for sure welcome to participate in F-Droid forums, be it about
a specific application, or about anything else! And the most direct way
for any software to be included in F-Droid is to make a recipe for it,
test is, and submit merge request via gitorious. Otherwise, some of
volunteers may look into doing that. I did and those were issues I
faced.

> > Yup, I love that Free Speech thing ;-). Don't take it personally and
> > glad if it would help anyway.
>
> We love Free Speech, as well, and of course Free Beer/Pizza/Burritos,
> when it makes sense. I just wish people would give the benefit of the
> doubt more in these types of cases... I mean, look we took them time
> and energy to do something really nuts, try to get Debian running on
> Android via a simple one-click process, so I think you can assume
> from that, we care about free software fundamentally.

I find Lil' Debi's idea very neat and for sure appreciate it, that's
why I went with making a recipe for it and communicating back to you
issues I saw.

> >Because well, it's just the common
> > situation with Android software - those binary blobs of unknown
> > origin, just a step away from worms and sensitive-info stealing
> > malware. Concerned partied should fight back.
>
> I agree. It is good of you to fight back. Just figure out who the true
> enemies are versus friends who didn't write a good README or took a
> shortcut.

Oh, it's for sure not about looking for enemies, it's about making stuff
better ;-).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com