[guardian-dev] Fwd: [tor-dev] Size issues with Orbot statically linking OpenSSL

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Jan 16 21:58:02 EST 2012

On 01/16/2012 10:00 AM, Stephen Lombardo wrote:
> You might be able to cut down the size of the openssl libraries by
> trimming out some features that would go unused by the application, i.e.

Thanks, Stephen. It does eem like the right approach. Sorting through
with the tor-dev's now exactly what we do or don't need.

> for armv6, the resulting archives were just north 3 MB combined. Is
> openssl a debug build, or does LibEvent account for a large portion of
> that 8MB?

8MB is Tor+LibEvent+OpenSSL, so yes 3MB is about what we are getting
with OpenSSL.

At this point, the resulting APK we distribute is about 4.5MB, and then
this unpacks to about 12MB. If we can limit our low end platform to
support to 2.2, we can then support install to SD Card / external
storage, which many users have been asking for.

With all that, the sizes don't seem to bad, but still, best to be as
efficient as possible.

+n8fr8