[guardian-dev] Clean Room: Making pgp master keys easy

Patrick B patrickbx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 12:34:59 EDT 2012

The basic idea is that we  want to safely manage a long-term
identity/signing GnuPG key that exists only in a secure computing
environment.

With PGP it is risky to keep keys indefinitely when they are used on
insecure environments. If you use the same encryption key, once its
broken, you don't have perfect forward secrecy and potentially all
your old communications can be decrypted. A reasonable solution that
many employ is the keep an 'offline' master/long-term-identity key
that is only used to sign subkeys and participate in the web of trust.
This is the key tied to your identity. Then you can keep two subkeys
for signing and encryption that are used for everyday communications
that you rotate out every X amount of time. This is a reasonable
solution, but the difficultly of setting it up correctly makes it seem
like quite an elaborate setup and it often isn't done.

This project aims to create some definition of 'secure environment'
that makes it really easy to manage your master key. Usability has to
be balanced with security here. Everything is still up for discussion,
but the current plan would allow the secure environment to only
contact a key server (strict firewall rules, cert pinning). This would
make it easy to publish your keys and sign other's keys. The hope is
that this project might create an offline version if there is enough
interest. But, as Hans mentioned, we aren't convinced that the threat
of shuffling USB keys back and forth is much less then having
extremely limited network access on a liveCD.  Ultimately, the whole
process isn't terribly long so documentation on how to do everything
manually can be published for those who want/need a very specific or
custom workflow.