[guardian-dev] A Partnership for Open Secure Mobile Messaging between iOS and Android

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Fri Jun 8 13:25:55 EDT 2012

- From our blog:
https://guardianproject.info/2012/06/08/a-partnership-for-open-secure-mobile-messaging-between-ios-and-android/

We believe in protocols, not products. We believe in partnerships, not
proprietary fiefdoms. We believe in building a community of
collaborators, not a cacophony of criticism and unnecessary
competition. We believe in practical solutions to perilous problems.

With all of this in mind, we are very happy to announce our
partnership and support of the ChatSecure for iOS open-source free
software project. Through our our two year history, we have been lucky
to receive support from a variety of donors and funders, and we are
now using what influence and opportunities we have to endorse other
projects that we feel are compatible with our outlook and goals.

Using ChatSecure on an iPhone or iPad, you can have an end-to-end
encryption chat session with someone using the Guardian Project’s
Gibberbot on Android (or Pidgin, Jisti, or Adium on the desktop as
well) through any  Jabber/XMPP compliant chat service such as GTalk,
Jabber.org, or even Facebook (gasp!). You can also run your own server
using something like OpenFire or Prosody.

While we fundamentally believe that the more open platform and
ecosystem of Android is a better choice for people at risk around the
world, we know that the iPhone and iPad devices are very compelling
and quite popular. This is especially true among some of our most
closest, at-risk users – journalists and activists – people who praise
the time saving usability of Apple products, while being frustrated
they have no way to communicate as securely as they would like.
Messaging apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger are terribly
insecure, and there is still no open-source cross-platform encrypted
SMS solution.

Now using ChatSecure and Gibberbot, members of the same organization,
friends, or colleagues can now easily communicate in a completely
secure manner between Android and iOS devices.

A message below from the ChatSecure team…

"I would like to announce a partnership with The Guardian Project, who
develops the Android equivalent of ChatSecure called Gibberbot, along
with a whole suite of mobile security applications. It’s an exciting
time for open-source secure mobile communications!

Version 1.2 has been approved! This new version includes support for
limited background messaging, the #1 most requested feature. Yay!"

Read more and learn about this great open-source effort on the
ChatSecure blog: https://chatsecure.org/blog#2

If you are reading this on an iOS device, go to the App Store and
install ChatSecure now!