[guardian-dev] Forking APG

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Fri Mar 9 10:49:21 EST 2012

Hey Dominik,

Its great to see APG get some development work!  What are your particular plans for APG?  We found these particular limitations of APG that would be great to see addressed:

• no method for uploading personal public key
• no method for signing other people's keys
• no method to view signatures on a key
• no PGP/MIME support (tho that might be only a K-9 limitation)

And given a bunch of other features in GnuPG 2.x, we are well underway to a full Android OpenPGP based on GnuPG:

https://github.com/guardianproject/gnupg-for-android

That said, I think there is room for both APG and a GnuPG-based app.  APG will always be simpler and hopefully all Java, so more native.  Our GUI will be all Java, so we can share that work with APG as well, if you are interested.

.hc