[guardian-dev] Forking APG

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Mar 12 12:12:35 EDT 2012

On 03/12/2012 11:50 AM, Dominik Schürmann wrote:
> A small progress update on my fork:
> I released the first version to Google Play:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.apg

> My mantra is: Release early and often.

Sounds good. Perhaps you should post test builds to:
https://github.com/dschuermann/apg/downloads before you push something
to the market?

That is generally our approach, where you at least have a few RC's
before giving it to the world. Now users on the market will see APG and
APG+ (Beta), and might be confused which to get. It also means that I
have to reimport all my keys into your app, correct?

> This first version is mainly the beginning of a new user interface for APG.
> I also realized that signing keys, uploading keys, and qr code scanning
> was already available in one of the repositories I merge into the fork.
> Especially these features seems to be a little buggy. I will concentrate
> on those after the user interface.

> As always: I encourage other devs to participate:
> https://github.com/dschuermann/apg

Have you reached out to thi at thialfihar.org at all? Why not just submit
patches and merge into a branch of
http://code.google.com/p/android-privacy-guard/ instead of forking his
project? You have every right to of course, and you are obviously giving
proper credit, but I would just think a bit more about the full
lifecycle of APG perhaps, especially since you are pushing releases to
the Play Store.

I know he isn't the most responsive individual, but up until September
2011, he was still making updates to his repo.

Please understand I support your efforts greatly, I just know that when
someone comes out of the blue and says "I am going to fork Gibberbot and
make it go XYZ feature" that I tend to not feel very happy about that,
wishing instead they would submit a patch or pull request, and be part
of our big happy dev family.

Best,
 Nathan