[guardian-dev] Hello, and question about Android and gapps

Rick Valenzuela lists at rickv.com
Tue Mar 27 06:02:37 EDT 2012

On 2012/03/26 3:42 PM, Manuel wrote:
> One note (and also the only thing that's keeping me from doing the
> same): You will likely not be able to use apps you bought in Market,
> because their license check will probably fail if you aren't logged
> in with the account you used for the purchase.

I expect some functionality will break sometime. But so far, all have
been usable. The two separate pro licenses I have also backed up with
Titanium Backup, and operate fine. But looking versions on the Play
website, I can see that I'm missing updates. So that's one drawback. But
at least I can see the "What's new" tab to see if it's a security patch
or desirable bugfix.

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:35:14AM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>>
>> I think that's a save assumption.  AOSP (Android Open Source
>> Project) provides a whole operating system that is truly free
>> software.  Having to agree to Google's privacy policy to use it
>> would make it non-free.  The ROMs are generally based off of AOSP.
>> So congratulations! you have escaped Google on your phone :).

heh, well, not quite: I was stuck without update on one app that pushed
me to flash gapps and log in to Play. I updated that and everything else.

Just to experiment, though, I then backed up with Titanium Backup and
then made an update.zip of the TB itself, then made a nandroid backup.
Went back and started over again . So my phone is back without the
Google propietary apps on my phone, no account link, and updated apps.

>> If you want a Free as in Freedom app store, check out F-Droid.
>> We're working on getting all of our stuff in there, as well as all
>> the things we find useful.

yep! already on there, with both repos. i've found quite a few
replacement apps on fdroid, too, that have let me ditch ones with
sketchy permissions I got from the market. One thing I did notice when
adding the Guardian Project repo: The f-droid repo is not SSL.

--
Rick Valenzuela
photojournalist :: videojournalist