[guardian-dev] using K9 Mail

Rick Valenzuela lists at rickv.com
Wed May 9 05:48:07 EDT 2012

Hi all --

Considering that K9 Mail is the recommended email client, how are people
connecting with it?

I'd been trying to use Orbot and SSHTunnel(Beta), with DroidWall to
whitelist only those. My mildly technical assumption with this was that
I'd be covered with routing+anonymity as well as encryption. I would
like to tunnel to a server I use in another country.

I can connect with Orbot only, and in checking headers with another
account, it does seem that Orbot routes this. But SSHTunnel(Beta) does
not allow me; looking at K9 in folder view, I see some error messages
under each folder after it fails to poll.

I emailed the devs from K9 and Kaiten about this, and I got this back:
"Kaiten like K-9 Mail doesn't support using a proxy server. But you
should still be able to use an SSH tunnel if you set up a local endpoint
that will forward all connections to your mail server using SSH."
Although, I'm not sure how to do this.

The K9 dev also gave a reminder/warning that Orbot would only provide
anonymity, not encryption, which was the reason in the first place that
I wanted to SSH tunnel to a SOCKS5 proxy. I do use SSL/TLS with my email
provider, so this may be redundant. I guess that's why I'm asking for a
'best practices' suggestion here.

-rick

--
Rick Valenzuela