[guardian-dev] [Oi2-dev] Silent Circle Source

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Mon Nov 12 15:29:07 EST 2012

Lee Mozzarella:
> ZRTP exchanges the SAS in band but verifies it out of band. It could
> be the same architecture.

Yea, but this is chat over XMPP, there is no "out of band" when you're
only typing. The SAS is being used to authenticate the integrity of the
crypto securing the chat messages.

If they said to exchange SAS over voice, or some other medium, sure, but
their site explicitly says:

 "To authenticate an SAS just confirm the new SAS by having the
  recipient of your message, text you back the words of the SAS as they
  appear on their device."

~abel