[guardian-dev] Proposal for Secure Connection Notification on Android

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Thu Nov 15 14:17:57 EST 2012

On 11/16/2012 12:14 AM, Shawn Van Every wrote:
> I think it is worth sending this to the EFF folks who are pushing HTTPSEverywhere: https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Interesting idea. I definitely see this as in part a campaign targeting
developers to adopt a standard secure connection indicator. It can't
quite work like HTTPSEverywhere but perhaps they are kindred spirits.

> Are you envisioning this separate from OnionKit?  Could/Should it feature HTTPSEverywhere functionality as well?

I want to build OnionKit up as a library with features ranging from
strong HTTPS to proxy support, so no, not separate. However, OnionKit is
just one implementation of this idea. I more want the idea of secure
connection notifications to be considered, more than just our impl of it.

HTTPSEverywhere is more targeting the end-user app to automatically
switch to secure connections when they exist. OnionKit on the hand is
more about getting the developer to ensure they are using network
security in their own app, to their own servers, or known servers like
the Google API say.

> How about submitting this as a patch to Android itself?  (in addition)

Yes, that's more the direction I am considering.

+n