[guardian-dev] PSST testing packages for RPM based distros

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Thu Oct 25 10:54:26 EDT 2012

Summary
-------

Guardian Project is now building testing RPM packages for Fedora and
openSUSE distros.

These are testing and development packages and are built in an
environment beyond our control. They could be completely compromised. Do
not use them to protect your privacy or security.

To install the repos to your system in find the appropriate link for
your distro version on the repos page:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/repositories?project=security%3Aguardianproject

More Words
-----------

Guardian has long supported Debian based distros, as most of the devs
use Debian or some derivative. Hans is even a Debian developer, able to
submit new packages and update existing ones.

I recently switched to Fedora, which made development slightly more
difficult, as in addition to our own software we use several third-party
dependencies which don't have official packages.

Using openSUSE's awesome Open Build Service (OBS), I've created Guardian
Project specific repos for our RPM packages [1]. For those who don't
know, OBS is a launchpad like service provided for free to FOSS projects
to build software packages for tons of distros.

The openSUSE folks were very helpful in getting us setup with our own
namespace "security:guardianproject".

So far we've four packages building related to PSST and
otrfileconverter, you can check them out here [2]

Huge Security Disclaimer
------------------------
These packages are built from sources we control (more or less, in the
case of third party projects we don't control their code), but in an
environment completely outside our control.

For that reason, these packages should ONLY BE USED FOR TESTING AND
DEVELOPMENT. If you're an actual user who is thinking of using these
tools to migrate/play with your OTR key STOP RIGHT NOW!

I plan to get real, secure, packages (as far as that is possible) into
openSUSE and Fedora proper once we reach a stable milestone.

Cheers,
~abel

[1]:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=security%3Aguardianproject