[guardian-dev] Sane unlocking/rooting info (read: rant against everything)

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Wed Sep 12 14:16:38 EDT 2012

Hey,

Does anyone know of a sane, organized, non-lame repository for info on
unlocking/hacking/rooting/ROMing phones?

I don't want HOWTOs that assume user incompetency, litter the info with
useless photos/screenshots, assume windows, tell you to download X and
flash it without a reason. Oh and dear god, no videos. Videos are useless.

Another dear god, forums are not a helpful way to distribute
information. It's never clear if they are up to date. Relevant
info/updates is interleaved with noise. Not to mention annoying colors.

All-in-one, do-it-all toolkits are also supremely annoying. Maybe if
they came as separate scripts devoted to a single task, that would be
helpful. But most of this stuff can't be completely automated anyways.

Another pet peeve, arbitrary links to arbitrary files we flash to our
phones. Who developed them? Where did they come from?

Examples of all that I detest are:

*
http://galaxynexusroot.com/galaxy-nexus-gsm-roms/how-to-installunroot-galaxy-nexus-gsm-to-android-4-0-4-ota-imm76i/
* http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28178105
* http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1790399

The cyanogen wiki is at least readable and noise-free, but lacks
comprehensive info for rooting and unrooting (reverting to stock).
* http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Galaxy_Nexus_%28GSM%29:_Full_Update_Guide