[guardian-dev] Efficient MP4 concat/joining

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Thu Sep 20 14:10:11 EDT 2012

I've created a little gist [1] that demonstrates how to concat mp4 files
without transcoding to mpeg1video/mp2audio.

It converts the mp4 video to the annexb bitstream format, leaving audio
untouched, concats, then rejoins then converts back to a regular mp4.

The immediate benefits seem to be:
* less cpu cycles, in theory (audio isn't touched)
* quality is preserved (no transcoding is occurring)
* the resulting file size is smaller

Included in the gist are two bash tests to benchmark the speed
difference in the technique, I have to run so I haven't been able to run
them yet.

~abel

[1]: https://gist.github.com/3757344