[guardian-dev] making Gibberbot as successful as Whatsapp without selling out

Chris Ballinger chrisballinger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:28:42 EDT 2012

I recently had a conversation with Nathan about building a special push
message server with support for ChatSecure and Gibberbot (perhaps open and
extensible for other apps as well?) that would act as a "knocking" system
to tell users to open the app. This would avoid the nasty problem of having
to store everyone's login credentials on an external server running as an
XMPP client to provide push support.

We could store an array of salted hashes of JIDs keyed to a device's push
token, and verify ownership by sending a message/request to a special JID
running on our server. Then when someone else wants to chat and it appears
you are offline, they can ask our server to "knock" all devices connected
to that JID hash, and you to prompt you to open the client and establish a
secure connection.

This approach would also provide much better battery life than constantly
keeping a socket open (which is actually impossible to do on iOS for longer
than 10 minutes unless you are a VoIP app).

As far as secure file transfer, I think OTRv3 has a new extra symmetric key
exchange now for this sort of thing, although I could be wrong.