[guardian-dev] Adobe's build servers compromised, malware signed

Miron miron at hyper.to
Fri Sep 28 11:45:48 EDT 2012

On 12-09-28 07:58 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> That's a good argument for keeping signing keys offline.

Agreed.

> I'm a supporter of using Gitian, but I fail to see how gitian could
> prevent the issue that happened there.  Someone compromised the server
> that could sign code with the Adobe key and signed some of their own
> malware with it.

Agreed.  I wasn't pointing at the specific outcome (key stolen), but
more at the build server being compromised.  Regardless of where the
signing key was, the resulting build binaries themselves could have been
trojaned, and you wouldn't notice because the build server was a single
point of failure.