[guardian-dev] [Guardian-internal] Proposal: Public Jenkins

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Fri Apr 12 15:18:58 EDT 2013

David Oliver:
> So, you DON'T want a "public Jenkins server".  What you want is "public
> availability of the information that comes from our private Jenkins
> server".  Why does that require a 2nd Jenkins server, indeed a "server" at
> all?  Why can't it be just a webpage "here is what happened on our
> full-paranoid Jenkins server today"?

It's a matter of time in the setup cost.

Because there is a plugin (see root of this thread) that publishes info
from a private jenkins to a public jenkins made just for this purpose. I
estimate this would require 1-2 hours to setup and troubleshoot.

The alternative would be writing our own custom HTML scrapers and RSS
feed aggregators to pull the data from the private jenkins then format
it and display it on a public website. I estimate this would require
several man-days of effort to achieve feature parity with my previous
paragraph.

If we want the redmine integration, then add another man-week for
someone to grok and build a redmine plugin for our custom jenkins
slurper platform.

IMHO, simply setting up a public jenkins server that doesn't actually
build anything and rather simply uses the aforementioned plugin to
display information is the most cost effective option.

~abel