[guardian-dev] working sync for Gibberbot file-based OTR key sync

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Apr 16 10:15:17 EDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 09:20 PM, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
> On 04/15/2013 07:21 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I got the first version of the file-based key syncing working in
>> Gibberbot! Its just the guts without any GUI support (i.e. QRCode
>> password scanning, bad
>
> Great news!
>
>> otrfileconverter currently outputs the QRCode to the terminal
>> (ASCII art!) and generates a PNG of it.
>
> Wait, can you scan the ASCII art QRCode?

Yeah!  Its awesome, thanks to a very handy library called python-qrcode.  Its
already packaged for Debian, I'll upload it soon.

>> Right now, Gibberbot looks for a file called otr_keystore.ofcaes
>> (Otr File Converter A E S) in the External Storage (i.e. /sdcard).
>> If its present, it
>
> I think we can also add support for that file extension in the intent
> handler, so that you can bluetooth, email, or share via dropbox or
> some other method, as well.

SyncSafe! I think we should have the current crypto stuff well audited before
opening it up too much.  Plus, I would be happy to see someone implement
alternate means of getting this file to Gibberbot, but I don't think we should
spend more effort on it because it only provides one-way sync (to Gibberbot).
 The OTR file transfer method will provide a full sync mechanism, plus I think
it will be more secure since it won't write anything to disk during the sync,
it'll only be network traffic.

.hc