[guardian-dev] Fixing our User Support Site

Bernard Tyers - ei8fdb ei8fdb at ei8fdb.org
Fri Apr 26 06:44:47 EDT 2013

On 26 Apr 2013, at 10:30, Abel Luck wrote:

<SNIP>

>> I really like the StackExchange interface and the whole SE network. Are
>> these questions for devs to answer only, or can "other users" answer? Maybe
>> have a widget right on the homepage for "recently asked questions?". Although
>> that would draw attention to spammy questions too.
>>

> I too like the simple QA interface from SE. Anyone can participate in
> the discussion really, we don't mind.

I've made a comment on a question, I'll add more then I get some time.

> We actually used to have a sidebar widget on the main site with recently
> asked questions, but it seems to have gotten removed in recent changes.

Once the new-question-mail-to-mailing-list was in place (or similar), it'd be easy then to clean up the spam questions. Then there would be no worry about spammy questions on the homepage.

>> I like the idea of piping the questions into the dev list, but I guess they're not
>> necessarily bugs? Or maybe a guardian-talk list, if it doesn't exist?
> Piping them
>> into a mailing would allow some discussion of the question if it was
> something that
>> warranted more in-depth answering.
>>

> I'd rather the discussion take place in the QA thread or whatever. The
> idea behind the Mailing list idea was just a means to notify us that
> there is new activity. We spend so much time in our email clients
> already, we just need a prod to get over to the QA site.

Ok, so it sounds easy to set-up (famous last words of course!) a feed to send a mail to the mailing list every time a new question is posted?

True, I understand what you mean about mail clients, but I am a dinosaur and still prefer to do communications through mail or IM....:)

Bernard

Bernard / bluboxthief / ei8fdb

IO91XM / www.ei8fdb.org