[guardian-dev] Lavabit, then Silent Mail shuts down

Dominik Schürmann dominik at dominikschuermann.de
Fri Aug 9 12:58:52 EDT 2013

Your copied text implies that Silent Circle implemented end-to-end
security based on OpenPGP for their mail service, which again leaved me
wondering why they are shutting it down.

I found out they provide 2 modes: one end-to-end secure variant, and one
using PGP Universal Server (Symantec?) only encrypting server side [1].
This partly explains their reasoning, but not completly. They could
switch of the universal key server but keep providing end-to-end secure PGP.

[1] https://silentcircle.com/web/silent-mail/