[guardian-dev] Lavabit, then Silent Mail shuts down

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Fri Aug 9 13:31:06 EDT 2013

Dominik Schürmann:
> Your copied text implies that Silent Circle implemented end-to-end
> security based on OpenPGP for their mail service, which again leaved me
> wondering why they are shutting it down.
>
> I found out they provide 2 modes: one end-to-end secure variant, and one
> using PGP Universal Server (Symantec?) only encrypting server side [1].
> This partly explains their reasoning, but not completly. They could
> switch of the universal key server but keep providing end-to-end secure PGP.

They technically could do this yes, but that would be useless for just
about everyone, because everyone wants to send both secure and insecure
email.

Keeping it running for those few who want a secure only email address,
and also aren't able to run GPG themselves, is probably not worth the
cost of operation.

~abel