[guardian-dev] Open Source Password Checker

Mark Murphy mmurphy at commonsware.com
Wed Aug 14 17:52:17 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Mark Belinsky
<mark at guardianproject.info> wrote:
> Is your password or luggage code "12345"? Then you might not be secure.

Hey, if it's good enough for President Skroob, it's good enough for me:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Spaceballs#President_Skroob

> Came across this cool project that checks the strenght of a password.
> https://github.com/c-a-m/passfault
> Of course it's also a great way for someone running a server to get a lot of
> passwords for a rainbow table. Buuut, since it's written in java, could
> potentially be ported to Android relatively easily.

The core/ directory is 42MB. Most of that is word lists. You could
trim down the word lists some, and as assets they'll compress nicely,
but I worry about this seriously bloating APK size.

It's a nice concept, though. Their algorithm likes diceware, as just
typing in some four-word passphrases based on book titles come up with
seriously long crack times, even for the $180K password cracker.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Aqui estão alguns sites onde você pode perguntar ou responder dúvidas
sobre desenvolvimento de aplicações para Android:
http://www.andglobe.com