[guardian-dev] ChatSecure

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Fri Aug 23 09:38:49 EDT 2013

Lee Azzarello <lee at guardianproject.info> wrote:
>Is this true? I've never actually used ChatSecure because I don't
>carry around my iPhone.
>
>"For instance, iOS apps like Silent Circle and ChatSecure provide
>forward secrecy, but are synchronous messaging systems that only
>function when the app is in the foreground. If someone sends you a
>message after the app has been out of the foreground for two minutes,
>you just don’t get the message."
>
>https://whispersystems.org/blog/asynchronous-security/

I think it is 10 minutes, but generally yes. iOS only allows long running background services if your are "VoIP app" (in quotes because I am not sure how they define VoIP app).

Chris B has a design for a ChatSecure Push service, that would essentially tell the app to wakeup if someone is trying to message them, and then it could pull messages from a server side xmpp message queue, OR the push could actually content the message itself. We could easily make this interop with ChatSecure Android users.

Also, I think iOS 7 changes some things wrt to background apps, but I am not entirely sure how.

+n