[guardian-dev] EOL Orweb, focus on Firefox?

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Aug 26 07:15:54 EDT 2013

Abel Luck <abel at guardianproject.info> wrote:
>Nathan of Guardian:
>>

>> Abel Luck <abel at guardianproject.info> wrote:
>>> Nathan of Guardian:

>>> and instead update the app to notify users about the risk and advise
>>> stop using.
>>>>

>>> As a temporary workaround, can we make HTML5 video a checkbox option
>>> like javascript is and have it disabled by default?
>>
>> That is the rub and the bug. I have set all the proper settings to
>disable plugins and yet it doesn't work. There are no controls in the
>API apparently for html5 media components. Sucks.
>>

>Ugh, ouch. Which means the only fool proof way to do it is to ship a
>custom WebView :-(

Yes. The other nearly foolproof approach I have nearly implemented, is to write a headless browser subsystem using httpclient that just uses WebView as an interactive HTML renderer. All pages can then be easily parsed and filtered before rendering.

It is a ton of work though, and you still can't intercept all calls, for instance HTTP Post. Also JavaScript could still dynamically inject autostart video tags, as well.

+n