[guardian-dev] EOL Orweb, focus on Firefox?

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Mon Aug 26 07:25:44 EDT 2013

Nathan of Guardian:

> Abel Luck <abel at guardianproject.info> wrote:
>> Nathan of Guardian:

>>> That is the rub and the bug. I have set all the proper settings to
>> disable plugins and yet it doesn't work. There are no controls in the
>> API apparently for html5 media components. Sucks.
>>>

>> Ugh, ouch. Which means the only fool proof way to do it is to ship a
>> custom WebView :-(
>
> Yes. The other nearly foolproof approach I have nearly implemented, is to write a headless browser subsystem using httpclient that just uses WebView as an interactive HTML renderer. All pages can then be easily parsed and filtered before rendering.
>
> It is a ton of work though, and you still can't intercept all calls, for instance HTTP Post. Also JavaScript could still dynamically inject autostart video tags, as well.

Again, ouch. Another not so tenable solution.

Yeah, by not cracking open WebView, we're essentially trying to create
the poorman's TBB.  If we don't want to do that, then I think the best
route is definitely merging FF4A -- thats firefox not ffmpeg ;-) -- with
TBB patchsets. Sounds like you knew that already though.

~abel