[guardian-dev] Apple App Store and GPL

Lee Azzarello lee at guardianproject.info
Wed Aug 28 18:00:59 EDT 2013

If any good citizen or fanboy grinds their axe, the same thing will
happen to Silent Circle and Belledonne (sponsor of Linphone). People
have published GPL software in the app store. Some of that software
even has source code available for the public to read. Millions of
people use GPL software distributed from the app store on their
idevices. Other than the VLC issue that got public attention, there
doesn't seem to be much enforcement coming from this big bad wolf
character at Apple software licensing. I haven't gone through the
submission process for anything so I don't know. Does Apple request
source code when you release an app? If not, they have very little
tools available to discover the license of the libraries. How much
work really goes into this approval process?

I think a honeypot app submission pipeline with published results
would be interesting but maybe a lot of work. I hear you have to think
of something novel to release.

-lee