[guardian-dev] reSIProcate coming to Android

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Thu Aug 29 02:38:06 EDT 2013

On 29/08/13 00:14, Lee Azzarello wrote:
> Cool! Thanks. There seem to be a number of competing SIP stacks: oSIP,
> Belle-sip, resiprocate, pjsip. Why so many?

Various issues:

License: some commercial vendors won't use GPL licensed code like PjSIP.
 reSIProcate has a BSD-style license

Language: some are straight C, whereas reSIProcate is C++ - for my own
purposes, and as a C++ programmer, I feel that a C++ implementation is
more suitable for such a complicated protocol with so many extensions.
Some C programmers are quite adverse to this however.

IPv6 and TLS: some SIP implementations added IPv6 or TLS as an
after-thought.  reSIProcate was built for both IPv4 and IPv6 from the
beginning, likewise TLS is a core feature.

All-in-one: some people go for sipXtapi or PjSIP because they also
include media stacks.  reSIProcate doesn't aim to include a media stack,
some people feel this makes it more flexible and independent and less
likely to hit patent problems.  For example, I've heard discussions
about using the new WebRTC media stack with reSIProcate to build softphones.