[guardian-dev] Moving beyond XMPP

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Thu Dec 5 10:38:35 EST 2013

One of the cool features of ChatSecure/Gibberbot that we have barely
supported is the ability to add new protocol plugins. This is how we
support Bonjour/ZeroConf messaging, but other than that, we haven't
implemented any new protocol plugins.

I am planning our activities for 2014, and am trying to decide where we
should best spend our time. We already have a bunch of great things in
the works on app sharing (Bazaar) and general encrypted data/file
sharing (OTRDATA, Dataplug). However, I want to also explore making
ChatSecure work with other services and protocols.

In the very near term, I am working on a Bluetooth messaging plugin, so
that the app can be used for secure messaging when there is no internet
available, or its better to use in a physically near location. This
would be useful for protests, "squares", classrooms, public cafes, etc,
and be a carrier for some of our OTRDATA app messages like the Bazaar
app syncing project.

There are some existing open APIs for WhatsApp and WeChat, and Line's
protocol can likely be sniffed and reversed. Should we get into a battle
with these companies by trying to be the first "safe and secure" client
app for their services? Should we call them out publicly to be granted
favored app status, perhaps appealing to their interest in supporting
business or enterprise users? My end goal here is that we can convert
some small percentage of the 100millions users these systems have. In
addition, Line, Viber, etc are being increasingly targeted and blocked
by countries who don't care for them.

Or is that all a waste of time? Is going back to the days of hacking AIM
not a good approach?

Should we instead focus on enhancing XMPP in open an extensible ways, or
supporting some of these new protocols like Telegram
(http://core.telegram.org/api) and BitMessage? Or perhaps this new
Layer.com thing I sent the link out about?

The Briar Project is one that is near to our hearts, as well, so maybe
we should focus on being a really great Briar client? Along those lines,
we could also support TextSecure's SMS protocol and/or spend more time
ensuring interoperability with Cryptocat's mpOTR/XMPP-MUC system.

There are many possibilities out there, and we can't do them all. My
goal is to ensure ChatSecure stays current and relevant, while staying
open and interoperable. In the end, ChatSecure != XMPP client only, and
we need to make sure people can tangible feel that.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.

+n