[guardian-dev] Moving beyond XMPP

muschel muschel at mail.ru
Fri Dec 6 12:13:09 EST 2013

Hello,

this is my first mail to a mailing list, so i hope i'm doing everything right.

I'm using CS for some time and my preferences for the developing would be a bit different:

a) Fix usability Bugs
A lot of them are rather small, but together they are really annoying. Most of them are already in the Bugtracker. This includes stuff like:
-slow reconnection after changing from mobile to Wifi connection
-You cannot copy all messages
-custom nicknames
-There is no easy way to forward contact adresses
-Better handling of open chats (maybe like WhattsApp, eg display open Chats and by clicking on "new message" go to the contact List)
-Smiley pane should open over the keyboard
-Include the Smileys again! No average WA user will search for extra packages and install those
-don't silently fail if you send a file to a another jabber client, that doesn't support otrdata
-It's not possible to resend invitations
-decrease memory usage
-and a lot more...

b) Adress lost messages
I know about  XEP-0184, but as mobile connections are rather unstable and i often logon/logoff from Wifi it happens quite often to me, that  i don't  receive a confirmation.
Of yourse i could simply copy the message and resend it (copying is not always possible....),  but this would mean that my Chatpartner receives those messages twice, which sometimes is seen as impolite.
Also this requires user intervention and rechecking if a messages was received.

My idea to solve this would be:
automatically resend messages, if you didn't receive a confirmation. Include "This is a resend of message 123".
The receiver can then display the message if he hadn't received it or send the confirmation again.
repeat this, till you got a confirmation, but double the timespan after each attemp. Ofc abort it, if you or the receiver goes offline.

greetings