[guardian-dev] Chatsecure usability

Paul Krusky pkrusky at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 15:44:27 EST 2013

Hello,

Inspired by Nathans last upbeat responses to muschel, going to add my .02 cents to the usability of Chatsecure and also write my first email to this mailing list.

Using and supporting users on Chatsecure (whatever latest iteration gets uploaded) exclusively on Nexus 4 and now Nexus 5 devices have found the most irritating things are the process for users adding contacts, deleting contacts and lack of alias (nickname) function. For instance, in adding a contact user A can sent a notification to user B, and when user B accepts and notification goes back to user A they do not get an accept/decline window unless they "wake" up the application and change the focus of whatever window a user is on to a new one (i.e. going from contact window flip screen to an open chat with another user, the invitation to accept/decline will pop up). This flaky behavior forces me to setup peoples rosters ahead of time for them (hacking around on the server in .dat files). To me the simple act of adding an account is fundamental and therefore should be simple and work 100%.

Second, in deleting contacts when a user deletes a contact it should be deleted. Often you will find on the xmpp server the subscription status being changed from "both" to "none" rather than the account just being eliminated altogether. And to boot even if you can get the user eventually deleted they will still show in roster (offline) until you exit and re-enter the application as the roster reload from server to update client does not seem to function properly.

Third, nicknames you have already acknowledged needs to be done. But seriously, people need them, badly.

And as a functionality addition that would make the application safer and more useful. A timer on messages to burn. No one wants to depend on the user they are sending messages to to erase them in a timely fashion. People are inherently bad/lazy/what have you maintaining software. I would love to have the control to send someone a message with a timed erase on it. Then I know for sure I won't bump into him/her a month later and see that they have never erased a single message they have ever undertaken with a contact.

Thanks